Subject: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 18:47:33 +0300

> Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:07:49 +0300
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
>     What alternatives were there, before xref?
> 
> 1. M-x find-function (some even used M-. as its binding).

This is limited to ELisp.

> 2. C-h comment-forward RET, then click on the file name.

This is limited to ELisp and built-in Emacs functions.

I was talking about alternatives that can be used as part of the
development environment suitable for many programming languages.  If
the user needs to switch the "find definition" facility each time she
changes her project or programming language, it's not a good
situation, and therefore such a facility cannot be considered as an
alternative to etags (and ID-utils, if we are talking about finding
references).

>     It's easy to generate TAGS for Lisp files, if one needs them.  We
>     describe all that in the user manual.
> 
> Could you point me to the exact section?

"(info (emacs) Create Tags Table)"