Subject: Re: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 17:00:24 +0200

>>> Stefan Monnier on Mon, 27 Apr 2015 18:54:05 -0400 wrote:

 >> - If I do have a tags table loaded, it's likely for a different
 >> project than Emacs.  This is most likely true for the majority of
 >> our users.

 > I really think the etags backend should only return data when the
 > TAGS file is in one of the parents of the current directory.

 > And it should also be able to keep several independent TAGS tables
 > opened for different projects in different directory trees.

This is close to perfect IMO. In addition I would like to be able to
"link" tag tables.

Let's say I have two projects A and B. By "linked" tag tables I mean
that both tag tables are simultaneously accessible from descendant files
of path/to/A and path/to/B.

The UI is essentially one command - `etag-link-tag-table`. If I call
`etag-link-tag-table` from project A and choose a tag table in B then A
and B tag tables become linked, and vice versa. Simple as that.

  Vitalie