Subject: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 03:24:26 +0300

On 04/28/2015 04:36 PM, Stefan Monnier wrote:

> Indeed, and it's largely unrelated since it would be a patch to the
> xref/etags backend and wouldn't touch elisp-mode.el.

On the other hand, tighter integration might have its benefits, too. 
Otherwise, the user wouldn't be able to use the Emacs's TAGS files for 
navigation when working on, say, an ELPA checkout.

I'm not sure if somebody will really want to, but it makes sense to be 
able to use it both from core Elisp code, and third-party one equally.

The tags part of the emacs-lisp-mode's xref backend could bind etags 
vars locally based on the value of source-directory, instead of using 
the current tags-table-list.

> As mentioned, this suggestion is not directly related to other backends,
> so whether xref/elisp completely shadows xref/etags or not is orthogonal.
> BTW: Do you have a lisp/TAGS file?  If so, why?

That's a good question. Indeed, we could say I only had it built to see 
how tags work with Elisp.

However, I do occasionally use src/TAGS, and 'make tags' builds both files.