Subject: Re: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:28:53 +0300

On 04/28/2015 05:52 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>> M-x xref-find-references, for starters.
>
> It doesn't seem to work for me: it says "no references found" whatever
> symbol I try, even those I know are referenced.  What am I missing?

Do you know how to implement the "all uses" search using only a tags 
file? I don't. Likewise for Elisp.

So, sorry to say, both currently implemented backends don't support it. 
ggtags, in GNU ELPA, might.

> etags.el supports more than one loaded tag table, so this shouldn't be
> a problem.

If the only table I'm using is of my current Ruby project, that would be 
a problem anyway. Still, Stefan's suggestion of looking up the directory 
tree should solve that.

> Please don't make advice the default Emacs customization method.  User
> options are much easier to use, so let's do what's possible with them,
> and leave advice etc. for more exotic use cases.

I'm suggesting its use lightly. As you've noticed, a minor mode was the 
first solution. However, if people want to use the Elisp xref backend is 
many other situations, you'll run out of hooks to add xref-etags-mode to.