Subject: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:15:42 +0300

On 04/28/2015 05:50 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I hope they are reading this.  (Personally, I'd expect the back-ends
> for at least the most popular languages be ready before the switch to
> the new API and the new UI, but that's me.)

CEDET has been lagging quite a bit. Even the 
completion-at-point-functions (available since 24.1) support was only 
added half a year ago.

>> There seems some confusion here: you do now invoke xref-find-function. It's not a function anyway, it's a variable, which different backends can set to implement the backend interface.
>
> Then the confusion is the doc string's fault: it should make this
> aspect clear.  And if there are no back-ends currently that support
> these options, I'd suggest to remove that from the doc string -- we
> shouldn't advertise in the docs stuff that no one implemented.

The doc string is about the interface: as long as a given backend 
implements the `references' action, `M-x xref-find-references' will 
display the returned list.

Please feel free to suggest better wording for the docstring.