Subject: Re: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 01:04:44 +0300

On 04/28/2015 05:55 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I filed this bug report, for starters.  I then invested a non-trivial
> amount of my time into learning this feature, trying different things,
> describing my experiences, thinking about ways to improve this, etc.
> And I continue doing that.  I hope this does help; if not, feel free
> to close this bug report as "won't fix" and tell me not to bother
> anymore.

Let's concentrate on the interface and the current implementations instead.

> This feature, including the new UI and API, was introduced 4 months
> ago, and we still have only 2 back-ends supporting it: ELisp and Ada.

And etags. Three backends isn't exactly the same as "no backends".

> They are nothing
> more than infrastructure waiting for programmers to use it, and those
> programmers don't seem to be coming.  Putting on my cynic hat, I'd say
> it's a solution looking for the problem.

I didn't see programmers running to improve the built-in C support in 
Emacs before. Certainly nobody expected to see them running now, simply 
because xref was introduced.