Subject: Re: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 29 Apr 2015 00:59:46 +0300

On 04/28/2015 05:49 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Some would say it's a disadvantage to need another command.  It means
> the user has to decide up front which one she needs.  Showing the rest
> of matches after the exact one doesn't have this disadvantage.

On the plus side, if there's just one exact match, Emacs will jump to it 
automatically.

> Once again, this bug is about the UI.  The UI shows only one match
> with one back-end, and all of them with another.  That's the problem I
> think we should address.

UI shows all matches that a backend returns.

> ??? How can what we show be the limitation of the format of the
> database where we keep the data?  If we think we should not display
> everything, let's filter the irrelevant stuff before showing it.

It would be a limitation with the format if any `tag-exact-match-p' 
implementation can't be 100% reliable. Some prior experience dealing 
with it told me that may be the case.

But anyway, I've just opened lisp/TAGS, and I haven't been able to make 
`(tag-exact-match-p "...")' return t with any input and position I've tried.