Subject: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:34:57 -0400

>> That makes a lot of sense when the candidates are equally likely to be
>> The One that the user's looking for.  In the case of etags I think the
>> problem comes from the substring matching it uses.
> etags puts some effort into returning the candidates in the most plausible
> way.

Indeed.

> Should we ignore that?

IIUC, in the current xref/etags code, it seems we do ignore that,
apparently because of the reordering.

> Further, xref-find-apropos will return a lot of candidates, and that will be
> what the user wants.

For xref-find-apropos that's fine.  But not for M-.

> How reliable is tag-exact-match-p?

Don't know.

> We could, for instance, filter out all
> non-exact matches when we're just looking for definitions.

I think that would make sense, yes.

        Stefan