Subject: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 2015 21:25:51 -0400

>> I really think the etags backend should only return data when the TAGS
>> file is in one of the parents of the current directory.
> That goes against what Eli asked for in the past, though.

Yes, we've been through that, indeed.  But it can be accomodated by
requiring the user to explicitly say that some TAGS file covers "these
and these extra directory trees" or to link TAGS file together.

> And unless loading of the TAGS file happens automatically (another change),
> this will do away with the convenience of the automatic suggestion when I do
> want to use etags.

The automatic suggestion could be restricted to only come about when
there is a TAGS file in one of the parent dirs.

> But how common is it, really? I've only seen one person ask for it so
> far.  Surely the 5 or so people who actually use tags with Elisp are
> a distinct minority compared to the whole Emacs user base.

Could be.  But etags has been around for a long time and was the only
"standard feature" of the kind until very recently in Emacs, so I think
it's fair to assume that there are more such users out there.

        Stefan