Subject: Re: bug#19468: 25.0.50; UI inconveniences with M-.

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Apr 2015 01:15:16 +0300

On 04/27/2015 06:13 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> I certainly hope that at least the Semantic one materializes soon
> enough, otherwise it sounds like all this move to xref was for the
> benefit of unbundled packages, and users of Emacs are just punished by
> having to learn a new UI for no real advantage.

It's probably up to CEDET developers.

But the UI itself is one of the benefits. If the old one was considered 
superior, the new API could have been introduced without really changing 
the UI.

>>>     . The doc string of xref-find-function mentions several variants of
>>>       invoking the function, but there doesn't seem to be any way of
>>>       controlling that when invoking the function interactively, is
>>>       there?  I think it would be good to be able to lookup only the
>>>       definitions or only the references of a symbol.

There seems some confusion here: you do now invoke xref-find-function. 
It's not a function anyway, it's a variable, which different backends 
can set to implement the backend interface.

You invoke different commands from the xref package. Try typing `M-x 
xref-find- TAB'.

> Not from me: I've been told in this discussion that I don't understand
> the new UI, don't appreciate its many virtues, and generally am no
> more than an obstacle on the way of progress.

I really don't remember stating that in this discussion.