Subject: Re: bug#19467: 25.0.50; Default arguments for 'yes-or-no-p'

From: Dani Moncayo <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 23:09:12 +0100

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 10:32 PM, Drew Adams <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> I'd like I could choose the "yes"/"no" answer via M-n/M-p (as
>> alternative to typing the answer directly in the minibuffer).
>
> FWIW, that defeats the purpose/intention of `yes-or-no-p'.
> We have `y-or-n-p' for quick response.  The point of
> `yes-or-no-p' is presumably to slow you down and make you
> work a bit, so you take the question seriously. ;-)

I agree wrt the intention of 'yes-or-no-p': force the user to think
the answer well.  But IMO:

1. Looking for a default value with "M-n... RET" entails some work;
   it's not something inmediate like a single keystroke (as in
   'y-or-n-p').

2. The behavior I'm requesting feels quite natural to me: When Emacs
   asks for input with a minibuffer and there are a few valid (or even
   typical) values, those values are available in the minibuffer
   "future history".

-- 
Dani Moncayo