Subject: bug#19466: 25.0.50; xref-find-def doesn't find C functions

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:49:39 +0200

On 01/20/2015 07:24 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> Then I'd suggest "show definition" instead of "navigate".  The latter
> has no useful meaning in this context, and just confuses.

"go to definition" should be the clearest option, then.

...Except the xref interface is also supposed to be used for "apropos" 
and "find references". The latter, though not implemented for the two 
current backends, would be reasonably easy to do for certain 
environments like SLIME. "definition" won't be the right term then. Any 
suggestions?

> I don't really understand the difference between the various options,

I'm afraid you'll have to spend the effort to understand it (but feel 
free to ask questions). AFAICT, the audience for this feature is just a 
few people, and myself is not among them. So far, I don't have the 
proper requirements to work with.

Come on, in each case that's just a few lines of Lisp you need to look 
at, and maybe try.

> so my suggestion would be to start with something that looks
> promising, and then see if users like that.  The important thing is
> implement something; just enumerating the alternatives is not enough.

Messages 32 and 41 include functional implementations you can try. The 
patches that would go into Emacs won't be much different, we'd just have 
to decide on code organization.