Subject: bug#19466: 25.0.50; xref-find-def doesn't find C functions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 05:36:29 +0200

> Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 02:14:23 +0300
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], Helmut Eller <[email-masked]>
> 
> > And one more thing: after invoking M-. and typing the function name,
> > then typing '.' to get the first candidate displayed, if I switch to
> > the window where that candidate is displayed, the window switches
> > buffers on me, so that the function I wanted to look at disappears.
> > What am I doing wrong this time?
> 
> You didn't press RET after `.'? :)

So there's no way of browsing the definition and keeping the list of
candidates available, except by scrolling the definition from another
window?  That's indeed surprising.

> Currently, pre-command-hook always restores window configuration to the 
> one before the buffer with the definitions of the current line's xref 
> was displayed.

Why is that insistence on restoring the window configuration useful?
Emacs users should be already used to the fact that Emacs pops buffers
in windows all the time, so IMO there's nothing terribly wrong in
leaving the window configuration changed.