Subject: Re: bug#19466: 25.0.50; xref-find-def doesn't find C functions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 22:29:48 +0200

> From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked]
> Date: Sun, 04 Jan 2015 15:10:12 -0500
> 
> Right, I think we should definitely start with just a way to use TAGS
> *instead* of the major mode's own system.
> 
> We can consider later on adding some other system to merge TAGS info
> with other info, but ... one step at a time, since we may end up not
> needing the next step.

Btw, I think I've found another "issue" with xref-find-def: it uses
the TAGS table information without any tolerance.  So if you have a
TAGS file that is slightly outdated, you are put on the wrong line.
By contrast, etags.el had special code that would look around the
position specified by TAGS, see etags-goto-tag-location.

And one more thing: after invoking M-. and typing the function name,
then typing '.' to get the first candidate displayed, if I switch to
the window where that candidate is displayed, the window switches
buffers on me, so that the function I wanted to look at disappears.
What am I doing wrong this time?