Subject: Re: bug#19466: 25.0.50; xref-find-def doesn't find C functions

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 01 Feb 2015 22:53:11 +0200

On 02/01/2015 10:30 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

> They all did the same, AFAICS.

The end behavior is similar, but in #32, the user can `M-x 
xref-etags-mode' again to get back to using find-func as xref backend in 
emacs-lisp-mode buffers.

> Because I thought the effects were supposed to be more profound than
> that.

It solves the original complaint, doesn't it? That's the idea.

If that's actually enough for you, we can add xref-reset-backend from 
#41 to xref.el as `xref-reset-to-etags', and anyone will be able to

(add-hook 'emacs-lisp-mode-hook 'xref-reset-to-etags)

in their init file to get back to using etags. And same with any other 
major mode that will implement its own xref backend.

> What you discovered: the order of loading Emacs TAGS tables matters.

What I see there looks like a bug, and not like a necessary quirk in 
behavior.

> I misunderstood your recipe, sorry.  I only loaded src/TAGS.

That's my fault, I didn't mention doing that in the previous message.