Subject: Re: bug#19466: 25.0.50; xref-find-def doesn't find C functions

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 21:02:28 +0200

On 01/21/2015 06:54 PM, martin rudalics wrote:

> In any case please stick to the "`current' is a predicate for buffers
> and `selected' is a predicate for windows and frames" convention.

How about `visited'? The other precise alternative for that variable 
named is `was-current'.

And considering that our main caller of that hook would be 
`select-window', maybe the current name isn't too far from the mark?

> Are you sure?  Suppose `xref-show-location-at-point' reused a window
> showing a buffer A for showing a buffer B instead.  Now `xref-quit'
> would kill B which should again show A instead.  But here you rely on
> `kill-buffer' (that is `replace-buffer-in-windows') DTRT.

Right, I do rely on kill-buffer doing what I'd expect. Anyway, I'm fine 
with swapping the order, will do so soon.

>  > You mean, for the user to switch to the buried xref buffer, then
> press C-u q? That's quite a few keypresses.
>
> Then you probably want the KILL argument for `xref-goto-xref' too.

Maybe. Wouldn't an option server this better?

We also allow jumping to a mouse click, and pressing C-u in that case 
becomes more awkward.

> When xref prompts me with
>
> Find definitions of:
>
> I'd expect to be able to browse my history of definitions I tried or
> succeeded to find.

Ok, thanks. I'll look into input history.