Subject: Re: bug#19466: 25.0.50; xref-find-def doesn't find C functions

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 18:25:36 +0200

> Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2015 22:49:39 +0200
> From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> On 01/20/2015 07:24 PM, Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> 
> > Then I'd suggest "show definition" instead of "navigate".  The latter
> > has no useful meaning in this context, and just confuses.
> 
> "go to definition" should be the clearest option, then.

Works for me.

> ...Except the xref interface is also supposed to be used for "apropos" 
> and "find references". The latter, though not implemented for the two 
> current backends, would be reasonably easy to do for certain 
> environments like SLIME. "definition" won't be the right term then. Any 
> suggestions?

Can the package that uses xref modify that string?  If so, we don't
need a single-fits-all phrase.

If we do need a single phrase, then how about "go to
definition/reference"?

> > I don't really understand the difference between the various options,
> 
> I'm afraid you'll have to spend the effort to understand it (but feel 
> free to ask questions). AFAICT, the audience for this feature is just a 
> few people, and myself is not among them. So far, I don't have the 
> proper requirements to work with.

Perhaps you could ask what issues need to be resolved for you to
understand the requirements.

> Come on, in each case that's just a few lines of Lisp you need to look 
> at, and maybe try.

If you can show me the complete Lisp, I can try that and return
feedback.

> Messages 32 and 41 include functional implementations you can try. The 
> patches that would go into Emacs won't be much different, we'd just have 
> to decide on code organization.

The recipe in #32 is clearly incomplete.  Not sure about 41.

Once again, if you can show a complete Lisp to try, I will.

Thanks.