Subject: bug#19463: 25.0.50; Files with special chars in the name cannot be written on MS Windows

From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 18:38:57 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

>> From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
>> Cc: [email-masked]
>> Date: Tue, 30 Dec 2014 09:29:16 +0100
>> 
>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>> 
>> >> At least we shall mention this restriction, for example in
>> >> (info "(emacs) Windows Files")
>> >
>> > I don't mind documenting it, but traditionally there was objection to
>> > talking too much about Windows in our manuals.
>> 
>> The section I have referenced to is called "G.3 File Names on MS-Windows".
>> Maybe it is acceptable to add a paragraph there :-)
>
> That's the User Manual.  I thought you were talking about the ELisp
> manual, which is where I think this kind of information belongs.

This information is important for the User Manual. People like me, who
don't know too much about MS Windows, would check this first. And even
MS Windows aficionados might not know such details about file names.

In the Elisp Manual, something is already said about these restrictions
("... On some filesystems (notably, MS-Windows), trailing whitespace
characters in file names are silently and automatically ignored.") This
could be extended of course. But I believe it would be sufficient to
give a reference to the User Manual. It doesn't happen too often, that a
developer must parse file names dedicated to MS Windows.

Best regards, Michael.