Subject: bug#19454: closed (Re: bug#19454: 24.3; apply doesn't work as in Common Lisp)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2014 01:15:04 +0000

Your bug report

#19454: 24.3; apply doesn't work as in Common Lisp

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19454: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19454
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19454: 24.3; apply doesn't work as in Common Lisp
From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 20:14:55 -0500
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

tags 19454 notabug
thanks

> (apply 'mapcar 'list '((1 2))) ; ((1) (2))
> (apply 'mapcar 'list '((1 2) (3 4))) ; error

> The error is:

> *** Eval error ***  Wrong number of arguments: mapcar, 3

Nothing to do with `apply'.  You get the same error with

   (mapcar #'list '(1 2) '(3 4))

That's because Elisp is not Common-Lisp.  If you want Common Lisp's
mapcar, then use `cl-mapcar' (after requiring `cl-lib').

        Stefan

Subject: 24.3; apply doesn't work as in Common Lisp
From: [email-masked] ([email-masked])
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sat, 27 Dec 2014 23:28:18 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

(apply 'mapcar 'list '((1 2))) ; ((1) (2))
(apply 'mapcar 'list '((1 2) (3 4))) ; error

The error is:

*** Eval error ***  Wrong number of arguments: mapcar, 3

In Common Lisp `(apply 'mapcar 'list '((1 2) (3 4)))' would be
`'((1 3) (2 4))'.

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.8.4)
 of 2013-09-26 on trouble, modified by Debian
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11403000
System Description:	LMDE Cinnamon Edition

Configured using:
 `configure '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu' '--build' 'x86_64-linux-gnu'
 '--prefix=/usr' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib' '--libexecdir=/usr/lib'
 '--localstatedir=/var/lib' '--infodir=/usr/share/info'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--with-pop=yes'
 '--enable-locallisppath=/etc/emacs24:/etc/emacs:/usr/local/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp:/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp'
 '--with-crt-dir=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu' '--with-x=yes'
 '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-toolkit-scroll-bars'
 'build_alias=x86_64-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-g -O2 -fstack-protector
 --param=ssp-buffer-size=4 -Wformat -Werror=format-security -Wall'
 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro' 'CPPFLAGS=-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2''

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: IELM

Minor modes in effect:
  shell-dirtrack-mode: t
  eldoc-mode: t
  icomplete-mode: t
  global-hl-line-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  ido-everywhere: t
  keyfreq-autosave-mode: t
  keyfreq-mode: t
  global-undo-tree-mode: t
  undo-tree-mode: t
  override-global-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t
  global-visual-line-mode: t
  visual-line-mode: t
  transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<backspace> M-p M-p M-p <return> M-u M-u M-u C-M-SPC 
M-c M-b i e <return> M-SPC C-M-SPC <backspace> M-v 
<return> M-v M-h M-r M-e M-H C-x C-e M-r M-I M-I <backspace> 
M-H <return> <down-mouse-1> <mouse-1> M-J ( a p p l 
y SPC ' m a p c a r SPC ' l i s t SPC ' <backspace> 
M-h M-t <backspace> <M-backspace> ( M-H M-h M-i <M-backspace> 
M-H ( l i s t SPC 1 SPC 2 SPC ) <backspace> 3 ) ) <return> 
<C-up> M-h M-i a p p l y SPC ' <return> <C-up> M-n 
M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n ( l 
i s t SPC M-H ) <return> l o l <return> ( a p p l y 
SPC ' m a p c a r SPC ' l i s t SPC ( l i s t SPC ( 
<backspace> ' ( 1 SPC 2 SPC <backspace> ) SPC ' ( 3 
SPC 4 ) ) ) <return> <C-up> M-n M-n <backspace> <backspace> 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> 
M-H <return> <C-up> M-n M-n SPC ( <backspace> ' ( SPC 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> <backspace> M-n 
M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n C-M-SPC 
<backspace> ' ( 1 SPC 2 ) M-H <return> <C-up> M-n M-n 
M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-i <backspace> ( l i s t SPC ' 
M-H ) <return> <C-up> <backspace> SPC ( l i s t SPC 
' ( 3 SPC 4 ) ) ) <return> <C-up> M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n 
M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-n M-i C-M-SPC 
<backspace> <backspace> <backspace> M-H <backspace> 
SPC ' ( 3 SPC 4 ) ) ) <return> M-u M-u C-M-SPC M-c 
M-a r e p o r t <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
History item: 1
History item: 2
History item: 3
Mark set [4 times]
map-into
Mark set
delete-backward-char: Text is read-only
History item: 1 [4 times]
Mark set
History item: 1 [3 times]

Load-path shadows:
~/.emacs.d/pymacs hides /home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/pymacs-0.25/pymacs
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/color-theme-20080305.34/color-theme hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/color-theme
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/markdown-mode-20140914.1012/markdown-mode hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/markdown-mode
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/diminish-20091203.1012/diminish hides /usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/emacs-goodies-el/diminish
/usr/share/emacs/24.3/site-lisp/debian-startup hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/debian-startup
~/.emacs.d/custom hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/custom
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/json-1.2/json hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/json
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/ispell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/ispell
/usr/share/emacs24/site-lisp/dictionaries-common/flyspell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/textmodes/flyspell
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-pcomplete hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-pcomplete
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-table
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-css hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-css
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-haskell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-haskell
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-indent hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-indent
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-agenda hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-agenda
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-C hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-C
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-docview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-docview
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-timer hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-timer
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-calc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-calc
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-org
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-gnuplot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-gnuplot
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-info hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-info
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-asymptote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-asymptote
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-mscgen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-mscgen
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-mouse hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-mouse
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-inlinetask hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-inlinetask
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-maxima hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-maxima
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-w3m hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-w3m
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-keys hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-keys
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-awk hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-awk
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-io hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-io
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-dot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-dot
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-mhe hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-mhe
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ditaa hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ditaa
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-src hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-src
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-latex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-latex
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ruby hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ruby
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-irc hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-irc
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-protocol hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-protocol
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-feed hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-feed
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-rmail hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-rmail
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ref hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ref
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-crypt hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-crypt
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-screen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-screen
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-compat hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-compat
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-gnus hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-gnus
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-eval hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-eval
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-shen hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-shen
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-python hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-python
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-entities hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-entities
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-faces hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-faces
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-emacs-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-emacs-lisp
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-comint hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-comint
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-octave hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-octave
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-clock hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-clock
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-ctags hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-ctags
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-scheme hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-scheme
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-sqlite hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sqlite
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-table hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-table
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-sql hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sql
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-datetree hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-datetree
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-list hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-list
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ledger hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ledger
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-bibtex hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-bibtex
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-bbdb hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-bbdb
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-plantuml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-plantuml
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-lisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-lisp
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-exp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-exp
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-fortran hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-fortran
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-sass hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sass
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-footnote hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-footnote
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-attach hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-attach
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-element hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-element
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-ocaml hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-ocaml
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-java hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-java
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-macs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-macs
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-mobile hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-mobile
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-install hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-install
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-clojure hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-clojure
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-eshell hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-eshell
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-matlab hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-matlab
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-habit hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-habit
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-lob hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-lob
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-perl hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-perl
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-id hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-id
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-archive hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-archive
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-version hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-version
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-scala hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-scala
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-plot hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-plot
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-capture hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-capture
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-sh hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-sh
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-tangle hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-tangle
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-picolisp hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-picolisp
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-R hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-R
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-lilypond hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-lilypond
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/ob-js hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/ob-js
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-colview hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-colview
/home/sindikat/.emacs.d/elpa/org-20141222/org-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/org/org-loaddefs
~/.emacs.d/secrets hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/net/secrets

Features:
(shadow sort mail-extr emacsbug python rx pcmpl-unix pop3 nndraft nnmh
nnfolder nnml gnus-agent gnus-srvr gnus-score score-mode nnvirtual
gnus-msg gnus-art mm-uu mml2015 epg-config mm-view mml-smime smime dig
nntp gnus-cache gnus-sum nnoo gnus-group gnus-undo nnmail mail-source
gnus-start gnus-spec gnus-int gnus-range message rfc822 mml mml-sec
mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader gnus-win
gnus gnus-ems nnheader wid-edit goto-addr find-dired grep mule-util
gnutls parse-time network-stream starttls url-http tls mail-parse
rfc2231 url-gw url-cache url-auth url url-proxy url-privacy url-expand
url-methods url-history url-cookie url-domsuf url-util url-parse
url-vars mailcap inf-haskell haskell-cabal haskell-utils
haskell-decl-scan imenu haskell-mode haskell-string haskell-sort-imports
haskell-align-imports haskell-compat haskell-complete-module flymake
dabbrev haskell-customize shell thingatpt vc-git geiser-mode geiser-xref
geiser-racket geiser-repl compile geiser-compile geiser-debug
geiser-company geiser-image geiser-doc geiser-menu geiser-autodoc
geiser-edit etags geiser-completion geiser-eval geiser-connection tq
geiser-syntax geiser-log geiser-popup view geiser-impl geiser-custom
geiser-base scheme dired bookmark face-remap misearch multi-isearch
debug jka-compr help-mode ielm pp server eldoc flyspell ispell icomplete
hl-line paren ido ropemacs pymacs keyfreq uniquify warnings advice
help-fns advice-preload cl-macs gv cl-lib org-id org-mobile org-agenda
org org-macro org-footnote org-pcomplete pcomplete org-list org-faces
org-entities noutline outline org-version ob-scheme geiser ob-emacs-lisp
ob ob-tangle ob-ref ob-lob ob-table ob-exp org-src ob-keys ob-comint
comint ansi-color ring ob-core ob-eval org-compat org-macs org-loaddefs
format-spec find-func cal-menu calendar cal-loaddefs smtpmail
auth-source eieio byte-opt bytecomp byte-compile cconv gnus-util
time-date password-cache sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
mail-prsvr mail-utils wombat-theme undo-tree diff suspend app f s
ucs-normalize dash moderne-mode bind-key color-theme-autoloads
dash-functional-autoloads ergoemacs-mode-autoloads f-autoloads
dash-autoloads geiser-autoloads ghc-autoloads ghci-completion-autoloads
haskell-mode-autoloads edmacro kmacro ht-autoloads json-autoloads
markdown-mode-autoloads monokai-theme-autoloads org-autoloads info
easymenu pymacs-autoloads request-autoloads rust-mode-autoloads
s-autoloads ttl-mode-autoloads undo-tree-autoloads unidecode-autoloads
finder-inf use-package-autoloads diminish-autoloads bind-key-autoloads
package emacs-goodies-el emacs-goodies-custom emacs-goodies-loaddefs
easy-mmode tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel x-win
x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select
scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham
georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao
korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic
indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple
abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files
text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule
custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process
dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting font-render-setting
move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)