Subject: bug#19440: 24.4; M-x run-scheme doesn't pop up a buffer

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 03:56:05 +0200

Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]> writes:

> M-x run-scheme switches to a buffer running an inferiour scheme process.
> I'm used to the alternative behaviour of inferiour processes spawning a
> window if possible, such as M-x run-python, M-x inferior-octave and M-x
> run-prolog (and the external M-x run-ruby for an example not included
> within Emacs).  It seems as if M-x run-lisp behaves the same.  Is there
> a guideline about that kind of behaviour?  If yes, is this behaviour of
> M-x run-scheme considered to be a bug?

(I'm going through old bug reports that unfortunately got no response at
the time.)

I don't think we have a specific policy for how these commands are
supposed to open windows -- and the list you mention aren't consistent,
either.  For instance, run-python pops open a new window, but doesn't
select it, while inferior-octave selects the new window.

I guess it depends on what the people who wrote these packages
preferred -- perhaps it's more likely that you type things in a scheme
buffer, but use a python inferior buffer only for evaling things from a
.py buffer?

So I'm closing this bug report.

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no