Subject: bug#19423: closed (Re: bug#19423: 25.0.50; incompatible change to `make-obsolete' - added 3rd arg should be optional)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 18:54:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19423: 25.0.50; incompatible change to `make-obsolete' - added 3rd arg should be optional

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19423: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19423
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19423: 25.0.50; incompatible change to `make-obsolete' - added 3rd arg should be optional
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 20:53:02 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Drew Adams <[email-masked]> writes:

> In Emacs 23 someone unwisely changed it to mandatory, an
> incompatible change that gratuitously breaks code that could
> be used with older Emacs releases.  Pain for no real gain.

You should look at the code sometimes.

The change is very much compatible: `make-obsolete' can still be called
with only two arguments without error.  The third one is only mandatory
in the advertised calling convention.

Even if it wasn't, it would be too late to fix the "problem": it
wouldn't work in 23 and 24 anyway.

Subject: 25.0.50; incompatible change to `make-obsolete' - added 3rd arg should be optional
From: Drew Adams <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2014 09:14:28 -0800 (PST)
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

This change, made long ago unfortunately, is incompatible.  Previous to
the change, `make-obsolete' accepted only 2 args.  It should still be
possible to use the function with only 2 args, as well as with 3.

This was presumably a careless oversight, and not intended as part of
the change to adding parameter WHEN.  The doc string in fact indicates
that this was not intended:

  If provided, WHEN should be a string indicating when the function
  ^^^^^^^^^^^
  was first made obsolete, for example a date or a release number.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-20 on LEG570
Bzr revision: 118168 [email-masked]
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
 `configure --enable-checking=yes,glyphs CPPFLAGS=-DGLYPH_DEBUG=1'