Subject: bug#19419: 24.3; hunspell problems

From: Eli Barzilay <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2014 11:23:45 -0500

I have encountered a bunch of problems with hunspell.  Trying to list
them now, and there are two that I can point it.  (They might cover all
of the problems that I've seen before.):

1. Trying to use it with the word "readbillity" in one Emacs process
   just didn't do anything.  I then tried it with "hunspell -a" on the
   command line and that worked fine.  I then started Emacs with "-q" to
   write this, and it still didn't work -- but now it works fine in all
   three cases (the other Emacs process, the command line, and this
   one).  Luckily, I still had an error message in *Messages*, so I know
   that it wasn't a dream...  In case it helps -- it says:

     ispell-word: Ispell and its process have different character maps

2. This seems looks like a problem with hunspell (I reported it there),
   but meanwhile, it might be best to avoid it as a default if there's
   no way around it, or at least if there's a way to find if this bug is
   present.  The problem is that it takes a single quote ("'") as part
   of the word, so if I `quote' or 'quote' things, it suggests removing
   the quotes.  (It does that on that last line, for example.)

In GNU Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)
 of 2014-09-30 on buildvm-10.phx2.fedoraproject.org
Windowing system distributor `Fedora Project', version 11.0.11404000
System Description:	Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug)

Configured using:
 `configure '--build=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 '--host=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' '--program-prefix='
 '--disable-dependency-tracking' '--prefix=/usr' '--exec-prefix=/usr'
 '--bindir=/usr/bin' '--sbindir=/usr/sbin' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
 '--datadir=/usr/share' '--includedir=/usr/include'
 '--libdir=/usr/lib64' '--libexecdir=/usr/libexec'
 '--localstatedir=/var' '--sharedstatedir=/var/lib'
 '--mandir=/usr/share/man' '--infodir=/usr/share/info' '--with-dbus'
 '--with-gif' '--with-jpeg' '--with-png' '--with-rsvg' '--with-tiff'
 '--with-xft' '--with-xpm' '--with-x-toolkit=gtk3' '--with-gpm=no'
 'build_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu'
 'host_alias=x86_64-redhat-linux-gnu' 'CFLAGS=-DMAIL_USE_LOCKF -O2 -g
 -pipe -Wall -Wp,-D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2 -fexceptions
 -fstack-protector-strong --param=ssp-buffer-size=4
 -grecord-gcc-switches -m64 -mtune=generic' 'LDFLAGS=-Wl,-z,relro ''

Important settings:
  value of $LC_COLLATE: POSIX
  value of $LANG: en_US.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix
  default enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Fundamental

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/goodies/emacs-goodies-loaddefs hides /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d/emacs-goodies-loaddefs
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/spam-stat hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/spam-stat
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnir hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/nnir
/usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/gnus-bonus/nnnil hides /usr/share/emacs/24.3/lisp/gnus/nnnil

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231
mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums
mm-util mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip ediff-hook vc-hooks
lisp-float-type mwheel x-win x-dnd tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt
fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer loaddefs button faces
cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64 format
env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable backquote
make-network-process dbusbind dynamic-setting system-font-setting
font-render-setting move-toolbar gtk x-toolkit x multi-tty emacs)

-- 
          ((lambda (x) (x x)) (lambda (x) (x x)))          Eli Barzilay:
                    http://barzilay.org/                   Maze is Life!