Subject: bug#19393: 25.0.50; Emacs cannot determine coding system of ISO-8859 encoded files

From: Wolfgang Jenkner <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2014 19:49:52 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16 2014, Tassilo Horn wrote:

> I've dowloaded the following file
>
>   ftp://ftp.fu-berlin.de/pub/misc/movies/database/movies.list.gz
>
[...]
> I also can't force Emacs to use ISO-8859 for that or the original file.
> `C-x RET f iso-8859-15 RET' results in a query that certain characters
> cannot be encoded using latin-9, e.g., \374 and \347, and I'm expected
> to choose another encoding.
>
> So `file' and `iconv' say the file is valid latin-9 but Emacs seems to
> disagree.  Who is correct?  I tend towards file/iconv but I might be
> wrong.
>
> And shouldn't it be possible to force Emacs to a certain coding system?

Perhaps revert-buffer-with-coding-system will do what you want (i.e.,

C-x <return> r l a t i n - 1  <return> y e s <return>

should show letters with diacritical marks properly, but it took about
20 minutes on my old dual-core k8 system).

In any case, some bisecting shows that the first problem is the line

Jedna žena – jedan vek (2011)				2011

It seems to be encoded in Windows-1250 [1] instead.  The IMDb website
[2] has also problems with this title (at least in Firefox, the
problematic letters seem to be missing somehow).

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows-1250
[2] http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2087826/keywords

Wolfgang