Subject: Re: bug#19392: Emacs searches for dabbrevs in archive buffers

From: Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Oct 2021 07:27:41 -0700

Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> writes:

> Stefan Kangas <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Perhaps `hexl-mode' as well?
>
> Possibly -- does it load the binary data into a buffer?

It is just unlikely to produce anything useful.  Here's what the start
of a PNG file might look like, for example:

00000000: 8950 4e47 0d0a 1a0a 0000 000d 4948 4452  .PNG........IHDR
00000010: 0000 0a00 0000 05a0 0802 0000 001d 628d  ..............b.
00000020: 8800 0000 0373 4249 5408 0808 dbe1 4fe0  .....sBIT.....O.
00000030: 0000 2000 4944 4154 785e ecdd 0760 14d5  .. .IDATx^...`..
00000040: bec7 f1f4 4aef 5d40 a4ab 0822 0a8a 7410  ....J.]@..."..t.
00000050: c586 ca55 5111 bc56 042b 0f15 7bbd 8280  ...UQ..V.+..{...

>> You could throw in `tetris-mode' and the other ones in play/, I guess.
>
> I don't think those have binary data (that may accidentally look like an
> abbreviation).

Right, it is another case of a buffer that will just contain nothing
useful for completion purposes.  But perhaps it doesn't contain anything
harmful either.