Subject: bug#19391: [PATCH] bug#19391: 25.0.50; eshell-buffer-shorthand breaks command dollar expansion

From: Noam Postavsky <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2017 21:42:45 -0500

tags 19391 fixed
close 19391 25.1
quit

Samer Masterson <[email-masked]> writes:

>  - The syntax for the shorthand should be distinct from any other
> lisp objects, so that we don't have to put out fires when people try
> to do things that are valid but overlap with the shorthand (e.g. this
> bug was caused by eshell's external shell feature redirecting to a
> symbol.) Something like #<name-of-buffer> would work.
>  - The shorthand should be processed as a buffer (similar to how #
> <buffer name-of-buffer> is processed). That means the shorthand won't
> require extra code anywhere except for the reader.
>  - The shorthand should be on by default, and probably shouldn't have
> an option to disable it. The reason for this is that the shorthand
> would be universally beneficial and backwards compatible, and making
> it controlled by an option is inviting bugs when we shouldn't be.

Something along these lines was pushed for Emacs 25.

[1: e37da5a4a8]: 2015-05-17 14:28:51 -0700
  eshell: Introduce new buffer syntax
  https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/commit/?id=e37da5a4a8055826f0fc1051083495a828509672>