Subject: bug#19390: 25.0.50; `package-activate' is too slow

From: Artur Malabarba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 13:15:16 -0200

On 18 Dec 2014 08:37, "Dmitry Gutov" <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> On 12/18/2014 04:11 AM, Artur Malabarba wrote:
>
>> I agree. And no, IIUC this hasn't been implemented yet. I suggested a
>> couple of style improvements and haven't heard back.
>
>
> Sorry, got sidetracked. Installed with suggestions, except for the last
docstring line (too obvious IMO).

Awesome :-)

> Still, I think we'd rather not spend too much time on reloading packages
when upgrading, so please consider my latest patch.

There's a bit of a small flaw with that approach, it's the reason I used
find-library.
If you just check load files against their names, you could find a wrong
file that has the same name as a feature (we require files in the load path
to be uniquely named, but load-history contains all files, not just those
in the load path).

It's an edge case, and my opinion is that a good performance improvement is
more important than that. But it seems like the 2 biggest performance
improvements have already been made (the package initialize, and the file
true name), so I wonder if it's worth it.

> Aside from it, if we compare with the alternative implementation
suggestions, the current one reloads all dependencies, even those that
haven't been (re)installed during the current session.

Is that so? Reading your patch, and from what I understand of the current
implementation, they only reload packages on installation. So they
shouldn't reload dependencies that weren't upgraded.