Subject: Re: bug#19390: 25.0.50; `package-activate' is too slow

From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 16:47:20 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

>> Aside from it, if we compare with the alternative implementation
>> suggestions, the current one reloads all dependencies, even those that
>> haven't been (re)installed during the current session.
>
> It sounds serious, but I don't understand what you're referring to.
> Can you give an example?

It reloads all dependencies of the package that is currently being
installed.

Try this:

(advice-add 'package-activate-1 :before
            (lambda (pkg-desc &optional reload)
              (message "package-activate-1 called with %s %s"
                       (package-desc-name pkg-desc) reload))
            '((name . "Parrot arguments")))

Then install company (if your haven't yet), and then, with Melpa in
package archives, install company-math. You'll see this in *Messages*:

package-activate-1 called with company force
package-activate-1 called with math-symbol-lists force
package-activate-1 called with company-math force