Subject: Re: bug#19373: 24.4; SVG images rendered via librsvg fail at displaying non-inline bitmap images

From: Ulf Jasper <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 21:00:54 +0100

Ulf Jasper <[email-masked]> writes:

> Vasilij Schneidermann <[email-masked]> writes:
>> FWIW, I have `rsvg-view-3` on my Arch Linux system, too.  If I go ahead
>> and download the referenced files to view them with it as they come, I
>> get the same symptoms as you have described.  However, with minor
>> "workarounds" I can get them to display.
>>
>> For "struct-image-04-t.svg" the following `sed` invocation is sufficient:
>>
>>     sed -i 's/data:image\/jpg/data:image\/jpeg/' struct-image-04-t.svg
>
> I can confirm that the modified svg-file displays correctly, both, with
> rsvg-view-3 as well as with Emacs (master): The embedded=inlined
> jpg=jpeg and the png image are both shown.  So rsvg-view-3 and Emacs
> show the same behaviour for original and modified file.

This is rsvg bug 739682 "doesn't recognize mime type image/jpg" [1] and
not an Emacs problem.

>> "struct-image-02-b.svg" requires a bit more work because it references
>> an image on the w3.org servers.  Assuming you download the referenced
>> image at
>> <http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/test/images/struct-image-02.jpg>
>> and save it as "struct-image-02.jpg" in the same directory as
>> "struct-image-02-b.svg", you can edit the path to it with the following
>> `sed` call:
>>
>>     sed -i 's/..\/images\/struct-image-02.jpg/struct-image-02.jpg/' struct-image-02-b.svg
>
> Here I see a difference between rsvg-view-3 and Emacs.  rsvg-view-3
> displays the modified file correctly, i.e. it shows the referenced file,
> while Emacs still does not show the referenced file.

This is related to rsvg bug 596114 "image refs are relative to curdir,
not .svg file" [2].  I just pushed a fix to master (c17c864) which
should fix this.

BTW: There is also rsvg bug 646618 "Remote images not supported" [3]
which explains why references to remote images are not displayed.

Best,
ulf

[1] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=739682
[2] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=596114
[3] https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=646618