Subject: bug#19347: 24.4.50; Display of bengali text

From: Richard Stallman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2014 10:44:24 -0500

[[[ To any NSA and FBI agents reading my email: please consider    ]]]
[[[ whether defending the US Constitution against all enemies,     ]]]
[[[ foreign or domestic, requires you to follow Snowden's example. ]]]

  > Can you describe in more detail what exactly goes wrong when these
  > characters are displayed?

The 6 characters fill 7 columns with the blob that indicates a character
that can't be displayed.  This causes anomalies in cursor motion
within the line.

If the line is almost 80 characters, it overflows
the line on the terminal, causing vertical positioning anomalies too.

These consequences typically occur when text sent to the terminal
occupies more columns than Emacs expects it to occupy.

  > Also, do the problems go away if you say

  >   C-x RET t iso-safe RET

Yes, they go away.

-- 
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation
51 Franklin St
Boston MA 02110
USA
www.fsf.org  www.gnu.org
Skype: No way! That's nonfree (freedom-denying) software.
  Use Ekiga or an ordinary phone call.