Subject: bug#19343: closed (Re: bug#19343: 25.0.50; [vc-git] Unregistered file becomes `up-to-date' in vc-dir buffer after editing and saving)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Mon, 01 May 2017 01:37:02 +0000

Your bug report

#19343: 25.0.50; [vc-git] Unregistered file becomes `up-to-date' in vc-dir buffer after editing and saving

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19343: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19343
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19343: 25.0.50; [vc-git] Unregistered file becomes `up-to-date' in vc-dir buffer after editing and saving
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 1 May 2017 04:36:13 +0300
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

On 17.12.2014 17:40, Eli Zaretskii wrote:

>>> What's our minimum version?
>>
>> Debian Stable has 1.7.10.4, but CentOS 6 - only 1.7.1.
>>
>> So apparently we can use `status --short' (or rather --porcelain), but
>> --ignored is no-go for now.
> 
> Why can't we use --ignored when it's available?  It doesn't feel right
> to me to punish users of newer versions just because someone else out
> there might not have such a version.

I've just pushed a patch (24301c8148f5f3220d7e597c73a59551cfa10eea) 
which fixes this bug, and also uses ---ignored, because that's how the 
Jonathan wrote it.

Do we still care about CentOS 6? The previous message in this discussion 
has been more than 2 years ago.

If so, we can remove --ignored from the call in vc-git-state, it's not 
hugely important there. It will be more important when we decide to 
reimplement vc-git-status-files in the same fashion, though.

Subject: 25.0.50; [vc-git] Unregistered file becomes `up-to-date' in vc-dir buffer after editing and saving
From: Dmitry Gutov <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 00:15:35 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

1. Open vc-dir for the repository with an unregistered file.

2. Open the file in Emacs, modify, save.

3. See it become `up-to-date' in the vc-dir buffer.

4. Switch to vc-dir, press `g'. See it become `unregistered' again.

Apparently, in part it's a result of how bug#11757 was resolved (see the
comment at the top of `vc-git-state'), but I don't remember seeing this
problem before Emacs 25. Yet I don't see anything specific among the
recent changes that caused it.

Maybe `vc-git-state' should call `git status --short' instead of `git
diff-index'.

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.3 (x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.8)
 of 2014-12-10 on axl
Repository revision: bdc373bf456de464b44836b11826705c0aef70b1
Windowing system distributor `The X.Org Foundation', version 11.0.11501000
System Description:	Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS