Subject: Re: bug#19342: auto-fill scan-error in sh-mode

From: Lars Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2021 20:42:58 +0200

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> The behavior I see in the example above is that a newline
> is inserted right before the last "aaaaaaaaaa", and an error message is
> displayed in the echo area.
>
> I'm not completely sure what behavior we'd like to see here instead.
> Just a less scary error message?

Perhaps no filling at all?  Certainly not any sort of error message.

> We could also emit no error message at all, but since this is using
> smie-auto-fill (i.e. syntax-aware auto-fill), it seems important to
> point out that we couldn't use syntax-aware auto-filling because of
> a problem in the syntax, which is what the error message is trying
> to say.

Well, there's no problem in the syntax, is there?  The user is just
typing a long string, which is pretty normal behaviour...

-- 
(domestic pets only, the antidote for overdose, milk.)
   bloggy blog: http://lars.ingebrigtsen.no