Subject: bug#19338: [PATCHv2 1/2] descr-text: add `describe-char-eldoc' describing character at point

From: Michal Nazarewicz <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2014 18:21:49 +0100

> On 2014-12-11 17:02 +0100, Michal Nazarewicz wrote:
>> `describe-char-eldoc' displays information about character at point,
>> +and can be used as a default value of `eldoc-documentation-function'.

On Fri, Dec 12 2014, Leo Liu <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Boy! don't we have enough ways to annoy users?

It's not enabled by default and you don't have to use it.

>> It is +useful when, for example, one needs to distinguish various
>> spaces (e.g. ] [, +] [, ] [, etc.) while using mono-spaced font.

> C-x =

C-x = (i) is two keystrokes, and (ii) does not even give character's
name.

C-u C-x = (i) is three keystrokes, (ii) pops up a new window, which
later needs to be closed somehow, (iii) contents of which is actually
terribly hard to read (e.g. name of the character is somewhere in the
middle).

-- 
Best regards,                                         _     _
.o. | Liege of Serenely Enlightened Majesty of      o' \,=./ `o
..o | Computer Science,  Michał “mina86” Nazarewicz    (o o)
ooo +--<[email-masked]>--<xmpp:[email-masked]>--ooO--(_)--Ooo--