Subject: bug#6731: closed (Re: bug#1933: 23.0.60; [PATCH] dir-local variables don't work on remote files)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 14:07:02 +0000

Your bug report

#1933: 23.2; remote .dir-locals.el

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
1933: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=1933
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#1933: 23.0.60; [PATCH] dir-local variables don't work on remote files
From: Michael Albinus <[email-masked]>
To: Ian Eure <[email-masked]>, Leo <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 06 Jun 2012 16:04:17 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Version: 24.2

Ian Eure <[email-masked]> writes:

Hi Ian and Leo,

> I guess for speed reasons, dir-local-variables don’t work when opening
> remote fiales. Which is unfortunate for me, since I need them. Here’s
> a patch against HEA which implements a simple switch for it, defaulted
> to the current behavior.

It took a while, but finally I have applied the patch, modified. The
customer option is called `enable-remote-dir-locals'. When set to `t',
remote .dir-locals files are evaluated as well. And I've fixed an error
of the patch in the logic of the condition.

I hope it is still useful for you.

Best regards, Michael.

Subject: 23.2; remote .dir-locals.el
From: Leo <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 15:29:42 +0100
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

It looks like hack-dir-local-variables ignores .dir-locals.el for remote
files. I think if a project depends on .dir-locals.el it will not be
remotely editable without loading .dir-locals.el. I wonder if this could
be improved. Thanks.

In GNU Emacs 23.2.11 (x86_64-apple-darwin10.4.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0 AppKit 1038.32)
 of 2010-07-23 on Victoria.local
Windowing system distributor `Apple Inc.', version 10.6.4