Subject: Re: 24.4; tex-validate-buffer error "Buffer is read-only"

From: phs <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 2015 13:34:35 +0200

have the same bug in my config. Basically I can't use 
tex-validate-buffer or tex-validate-region which I'd rank as "severe" 
from a user's viewpoint.

The code in tex-mode.el acknowledges that using occur-mode is not a good 
solution and argues for a major rewrite.

A quick hack that may help the original poster (and other users) is to 
insert the following line in your emacs init file:

     (add-hook 'occur-mode-hook (function (lambda () (read-only-mode -1))))

--phs

In GNU Emacs 24.5.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS apple-appkit-1265.21)
  of 2015-04-10 on builder10-9.porkrind.org
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1348
Configured using:
  `configure --with-ns '--enable-locallisppath=/Library/Application
  Support/Emacs/${version}/site-lisp:/Library/Application 
Support/Emacs/site-lisp''

Important settings:
   value of $LC_ALL: en_US
   value of $LANG: en_US
   locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix