Subject: Re: bug#19322: 25.0.50; 1.6Mb one line file chocks Emacs

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 18:16:41 +0200

> From: Vitalie Spinu <[email-masked]>
> Date: Mon, 08 Dec 2014 18:37:31 -0800
> 
> When I am trying to open this 1.6M file:
> 
>   http://vitalie.spinu.info/tmp/tmp.data
> 
> `emacs -q` locks and the only way to get out is a sigterm. I can open it
> with older emacses:
> 
>   Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9),  and
>   Emacs 24.3.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.10.9)

Thanks.  I think I see the problem, and I'm testing a solution.

However, I'm surprised that you see this on a 64-bit host.  Could you
please run an unoptimized build under GDB, put a breakpoint in
memory_full, and see if that breakpoint breaks?  If it does, please
show the backtrace from there.  I'd like to make sure the problem I
see is the same one that affects you.

Also, how much virtual memory (RAM and swap) does your system have at
its disposal?