Subject: bug#19284: 25.0.50; tls.el uses option --insecure

From: Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 11:00:12 -0500

On Wed, 30 Dec 2015 19:22:49 +0100 Lars Magne Ingebrigtsen <[email-masked]> wrote: 

LMI> Ted Zlatanov <[email-masked]> writes:
>> There is a user experience difference between relying on external tools
>> implicitly, which tls.el does, and explicitly, which ProxyCommand does.
>> Also, tls.el is not granular like ProxyCommand or the `nnimap-stream'
>> functionality, it applies to all connectivity. I hope that explains my
>> reasoning better.

LMI> Yeah.  For the version after this, we should dump tls.el (and
LMI> starttls.el) completely.  If somebody wants a way to do TLS proxying, we
LMI> should add that as separate functionality, not something that plops out
LMI> as a side-effect of using gnutls-cli.

Ivan, do you want to summarize the three separate proposals to emacs-devel
or should I? I think it's time to move it out of this bug report since
Lars has committed the changes to fix it.

The proposals, I think, were:

1) provide a new function hook point for tls.el to provide
network-stream functionality, and make that a defcustom that can be
overridden by host and port

2) move tls.el out of Emacs into the GNU ELPA

3) support TLS proxying in gnutls.el or at the C level, if we can define
what that actually means

Thanks
Ted