Subject: bug#19276: 25.0.50; Crash on startup on OS X with -Q

From: Kirill Ignatiev <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 23:55:32 -0500

Emacs invoked with "-Q" (git development version) crashes on startup.
This happens sometimes, not always. I already posted a bug related to
this, but that was for version 24.4.

To reproduce: run emacs with "-Q" repeatedly until it crashes. This
might take some tries, but on my computer it eventually crashes with
the stack trace below.

(lldb) run -Q
Process 42532 launched: '/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/MacOS/Emacs' (x86_64)
Process 42532 stopped
* thread #1: tid = 0x34dc3, 0x00007fff8f1a762a
libobjc.A.dylib`(anonymous namespace)::AutoreleasePoolPage::pop(void*)
+ 454, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS
(code=1, address=0x10)
    frame #0: 0x00007fff8f1a762a libobjc.A.dylib`(anonymous
namespace)::AutoreleasePoolPage::pop(void*) + 454
libobjc.A.dylib`(anonymous namespace)::AutoreleasePoolPage::pop(void*) + 454:
-> 0x7fff8f1a762a:  movq   0x10(%rsi), %rax
   0x7fff8f1a762e:  leaq   0x38(%rsi), %rcx
   0x7fff8f1a7632:  cmpq   %rcx, %rax
   0x7fff8f1a7635:  je     0x7fff8f1a760a            ; (anonymous
namespace)::AutoreleasePoolPage::pop(void*) + 422
(lldb) bt
* thread #1: tid = 0x34dc3, 0x00007fff8f1a762a
libobjc.A.dylib`(anonymous namespace)::AutoreleasePoolPage::pop(void*)
+ 454, queue = 'com.apple.main-thread', stop reason = EXC_BAD_ACCESS
(code=1, address=0x10)
  * frame #0: 0x00007fff8f1a762a libobjc.A.dylib`(anonymous
namespace)::AutoreleasePoolPage::pop(void*) + 454
    frame #1: 0x00007fff8d9e6932 CoreFoundation`_CFAutoreleasePoolPop + 50
    frame #2: 0x00007fff8f36d54c Foundation`-[NSAutoreleasePool release] + 140
    frame #3: 0x00000001001b3907 Emacs`-[EmacsApp
run](self=<unavailable>, _cmd=<unavailable>) + 311 at nsterm.m:4560
    frame #4: 0x00000001001b3690
Emacs`ns_term_init(display_name=<unavailable>) + 3536 at nsterm.m:4470
    frame #5: 0x00000001001c64d7
Emacs`Fx_open_connection(display=4308817369,
resource_string=<unavailable>, must_succeed=4328534122) + 39 at
nsfns.m:1862
    frame #6: 0x0000000100143e1e Emacs`Ffuncall(nargs=<unavailable>,
args=<unavailable>) + 1214 at eval.c:2722
    frame #7: 0x000000010017e062
Emacs`exec_byte_code(bytestr=<unavailable>, vector=4298874653,
maxdepth=<unavailable>, args_template=<unavailable>,
nargs=<unavailable>, args=<unavailable>) + 2338 at bytecode.c:920
    frame #8: 0x0000000100143bf9 Emacs`Ffuncall(nargs=<unavailable>,
args=<unavailable>) + 665 at eval.c:2764
    frame #9: 0x000000010017e062
Emacs`exec_byte_code(bytestr=<unavailable>, vector=4298345445,
maxdepth=<unavailable>, args_template=<unavailable>,
nargs=<unavailable>, args=<unavailable>) + 2338 at bytecode.c:920
    frame #10: 0x0000000100143bf9 Emacs`Ffuncall(nargs=<unavailable>,
args=<unavailable>) + 665 at eval.c:2764
    frame #11: 0x000000010017e062
Emacs`exec_byte_code(bytestr=<unavailable>, vector=4298342429,
maxdepth=<unavailable>, args_template=<unavailable>,
nargs=<unavailable>, args=<unavailable>) + 2338 at bytecode.c:920
    frame #12: 0x0000000100143550 Emacs`apply_lambda(fun=4298342349,
args=<unavailable>, count=<unavailable>) + 304 at eval.c:2823
    frame #13: 0x0000000100140146 Emacs`eval_sub(form=<unavailable>) +
886 at eval.c:2224
    frame #14: 0x00000001001433ba Emacs`Feval(form=4337766246,
lexical=<unavailable>) + 106 at eval.c:1994
    frame #15: 0x000000010014256b
Emacs`internal_condition_case(bfun=0x00000001000d47c0,
handlers=<unavailable>, hfun=<unavailable>) + 251 at eval.c:1345
    frame #16: 0x00000001000d47a2
Emacs`top_level_1(ignore=<unavailable>) + 82 at keyboard.c:1214
    frame #17: 0x0000000100141ee3
Emacs`internal_catch(tag=<unavailable>, func=0x00000001000d4750,
arg=4328534074) + 243 at eval.c:1106
    frame #18: 0x00000001000c1c3f Emacs`command_loop + 223 at keyboard.c:1175
    frame #19: 0x00000001000c1b03 Emacs`recursive_edit_1 + 131 at keyboard.c:786
    frame #20: 0x00000001000c1d82 Emacs`Frecursive_edit + 242 at keyboard.c:857
    frame #21: 0x00000001000c0964 Emacs`main(argc=0,
argv=<unavailable>) + 5924 at emacs.c:1623
(lldb) kill
Process 42532 exited with status = 9 (0x00000009)

In GNU Emacs 25.0.50.1 (x86_64-apple-darwin13.4.0, NS appkit-1265.21
Version 10.9.5 (Build 13F34))
 of 2014-12-04 on user221-57.wireless.utoronto.ca
Repository revision: d08f4f8fc5219324ac352c6d89f0db5c6a18ce32
Windowing system distributor `Apple', version 10.3.1265
Configured using:
 `configure --with-ns CPPFLAGS=-I/sw/include LDFLAGS=-L/sw/lib'

Configured features:
ACL LIBXML2 ZLIB

Important settings:
  value of $LANG: en_IE.UTF-8
  locale-coding-system: utf-8-unix

Major mode: Lisp Interaction

Minor modes in effect:
  tooltip-mode: t
  global-eldoc-mode: t
  electric-indent-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  auto-composition-mode: t
  auto-encryption-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent messages:
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message dired format-spec
rfc822 mml easymenu mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse
rfc2231 mailabbrev gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045
ietf-drums mm-util help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils time-date tooltip
eldoc electric uniquify ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel
ns-win tool-bar dnd fontset image regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list
newcomment elisp-mode lisp-mode prog-mode register page menu-bar
rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock font-lock syntax
facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang misc-lang vietnamese
tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew greek romanian slovak
czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese case-table epa-hook
jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice loaddefs button
faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay sha1 md5 base64
format env code-pages mule custom widget hashtable-print-readable
backquote make-network-process cocoa ns multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 16 77940 6297)
 (symbols 48 18853 1)
 (miscs 40 38 135)
 (strings 32 13681 4795)
 (string-bytes 1 323628)
 (vectors 16 9491)
 (vector-slots 8 382017 11889)
 (floats 8 60 67)
 (intervals 56 172 0)
 (buffers 976 11))