Subject: bug#19274: tar-mode.el: allow for adding new archive members

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 18:07:34 +0000

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> From: Ivan Shmakov  Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 17:47:30 +0000

[…]

 >> Does it make sense to also simplify the head of the sentence as
 >> follows?  (I believe that “lines” are rather just an implementation
 >> detail here.)

 >> - The command inserts the new file on the line above the current
 >>   one,
 >> + The command inserts the new file before the current one,

 > Yes, that's better.

	The revised patch for doc/emacs/files.texi is MIMEd.  (The rest
	remains the same [1].)

[1] news:[email-masked]
    http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.bugs/96948

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A
--- a/doc/emacs/files.texi	2014-06-08 07:41:27 +0000
+++ b/doc/emacs/files.texi	2014-12-07 18:05:31 +0000
@@ -1689,6 +1689,13 @@ @node File Archives
 another window, so you could edit the file and operate on the archive
 simultaneously.
 
+  The @kbd{I} key adds a new (regular) file to the archive.  The file
+is initially empty, but can readily be edited using the commands
+above.  The command inserts the new file before the current one, so
+that using it on the topmost line of the Tar buffer makes the new file
+the first one in the archive, and using it at the end of the buffer
+makes it the last one.
+
   @kbd{d} marks a file for deletion when you later use @kbd{x}, and
 @kbd{u} unmarks a file, as in Dired.  @kbd{C} copies a file from the
 archive to disk and @kbd{R} renames a file within the archive.