Subject: Re: bug#19274: tar-mode.el: allow for adding new archive members

From: Ivan Shmakov <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 20:50:36 +0000

>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
>>>>> From: Ivan Shmakov  Date: Sat, 06 Dec 2014 20:04:46 +0000
>>>>> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

[…]

 >>> "fgrep tar-mode doc/emacs/*.texi blames misc.texi.

 >> For me, it only finds ‘tar-mode’ in ‘wordstar-mode’:

 > You are right, sorry.  Try this instead:

 >   fgrep -w Tar doc/emacs/*.texi 

	Now, it makes me wonder if there should be an @findex tar-mode
	along with the @cindices?  (And @findex archive-mode, too.)

	Otherwise, does the patch MIMEd look sane?

	TIA.

-- 
FSF associate member #7257  http://boycottsystemd.org/  … 3013 B6A0 230E 334A
--- a/doc/emacs/files.texi	2014-06-08 07:41:27 +0000
+++ b/doc/emacs/files.texi	2014-12-06 20:44:44 +0000
@@ -1689,6 +1689,14 @@ likewise.  @kbd{v} extracts a file into a buffer in View mode
 another window, so you could edit the file and operate on the archive
 simultaneously.
 
+  The @kbd{I} key adds a new (regular) file to the archive.  The file
+is initially empty, but can readily be edited using the commands
+above.  The command inserts the new file on the line above the current
+one, so that using it on the topmost line of the Tar buffer makes the
+new file the first one in the archive, and using it on the last line
+(the one after the line describing the last file) makes it the last
+one.
+
   @kbd{d} marks a file for deletion when you later use @kbd{x}, and
 @kbd{u} unmarks a file, as in Dired.  @kbd{C} copies a file from the
 archive to disk and @kbd{R} renames a file within the archive.