Subject: bug#19240: cut 8.22 adds newline

From: Bob Proulx <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2014 20:17:18 -0700

John Kendall wrote:
> My goal was to bring up the differences between Solaris cut and gnu cut 
> and hear the justification.  And I've learned a lot.  I've been in the
> Solaris gated community for so long, imagine how much I have never
> had to think about!

At one time I was exactly the same way after years of using HP-UX! :-)
Well...  Maybe not because there were always other machines in the mix
too.

> But it was never my intention to have you solve the re-write for me.  I 
> only shared my code because Bob asked.  But I really appreciate you 
> solving it for me!
>
> Thanks again to all of you.

Thanks for the sharing.  As I said I was curious as to the code issue
that was problematic for portability.  I already knew it wasn't
portable or it wouldn't have been a squeaky wheel.  So seeing
something unportable was simply expected.

And I will speak for the group and say you are most welcome.  We do
this because if you set a tangled ball of string in front we would
untangle it.  It is just our nature.

Bob