Subject: bug#19237: Guile-2.0.11 OS X 10.10.1 build error

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2014 18:47:43 -0500

Hans Aberg <[email-masked]> writes:

>> On 4 Dec 2014, at 18:23, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>> 
>> Hans Aberg <[email-masked]> skribis:
>> 
>>>> On 3 Dec 2014, at 23:21, Ludovic Courtès <[email-masked]> wrote:
>>>> 
>>>> Could it be because Guile is being compiled against libeditline instead
>>>> of GNU Readline?
>>>> 
>>>> Readline support in Guile requires GNU Readline.
>>> 
>>> It looked as though that the readline in the Guile distribution is too
>>> old - no other readline installed on the system.
>> 
>> Actually there’s no Readline in Guile itself, just the guile-readline
>> bindings.
>
> I think the binding problem was that what Guile expected to be in one
> file, readline now has in several.

Can you explain this more clearly?  What do you think Guile expects to
be in one file that "readline now has in several"?  Also, how did you
reach this conclusion, given that GNU Readline apparently wasn't
installed when the build failed?

FWIW, we regularly build the latest Guile with the latest Readline in
GNU Guix, and haven't run into this problem.

     Regards,
       Mark