Subject: bug#19233: Errors building guile on Armv7

From: Mark H Weaver <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 2014 11:56:53 -0500

tags 19233 + notabug
close 19233
thanks

John Darrington <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 12:24:42AM -0500, Mark H Weaver wrote:
[...]
>      I guess that both iconv and gdb are somewhat broken on your system.
>      
>
>
> You are right.  I was linking to the wrong libiconv

Okay.

> I think however, that your suggested work-around or something similar
> could do with pushing to the master: There is a circular dependency
> here: If iconv_open fails, guile tries to report the error using
> scm_locale_string which itself calls iconv_open ...

In the common case, the failure is not that iconv is broken, but rather
that the string contains a character that cannot be encoded in the
specified encoding.  'scm_encoding_error' raises an exception, which
could be caught and handled by user code.  If uncaught, it would print
an error message that contains only ASCII characters, so should not
fail.

What I suggested was not a workaround, but rather a temporary hack to
debug your problem.

     Thanks,
       Mark