Subject: Re: bug#19223: 24.4; ELPA suggest description in gnu-emacs-sources messages

From: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 2020 15:47:10 -0400

>> ./admin/update-archive.sh:142:Version $ver of GNU ELPA package $pkg
>> has just been released.
>
> Yes, that seems like a very likely suspect.  Looking at the code, it
> shouldn't be too difficult to add a summary line...  but I'd rather not
> mess with that script, since I have no way of testing.

You can reproduce the setup that's on elpa.gnu.org.  the README file in
elpa.git tries to describe how to do that, tho IIRC it needs to be
improved (i.e. the steps described there don't quite work), ideally by
simplifying the setup.

> Perhaps Stefan M. has some input here?  The suggestion is:
>
>> As a suggestion, it'd be good if the messages to gnu-emacs-sources for
>> new gnu elpa packages included the package description -- just the one
>> line description from the first line of the .el file.

Yes, I'm all for it.  It should ideally also include the "news" or
"changelog" since the last release.

        Stefan