Subject: Re: New command-line syntax for package + version?

From: [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 2015 12:27:54 +0100

Mathieu Lirzin <[email-masked]> skribis:

> [email-masked] (Ludovic Courtès) writes:

[...]

>> Regarding the aesthetics, I’d be in favor of using @ for the version:
>
> You mean like npm...  :)

Possibly, but I’m not that proficient at npm.  ;-)  I think I’ve seen
another tool use that convention, though I don’t remember which one
(maybe Spack?).

It’s more that “[email-masked]” reads like “Guile at [version] 1.8.”

>>   [email-masked]
>>   [email-masked]:doc
>>
>> I’m not sure if we should also allow:
>>
>>   guile:[email-masked]
>>
>> Thoughts?
>
> I'm OK with that.  Since choosing the reserved characters is not a
> technical decision, maybe we could poll users?

Yes, why not (bikeshedding ahead! :-)).  Would you like to email
guix-devel about it?

Note that it only affects the CLI.  The Emacs and Web UIs won’t see any
difference.

Ludo’.