Subject: Re: bug#19200: Point adjustemnt moves *into* invisible text

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:10:36 +0100

Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:

> > (progn
> >   (insert "111" "\n222\n"
> >           (propertize "333\n444\n\n" 'invisible t)
> >           "555\n666\n"))
>
> This is an entirely different problem.

Hmm, ok.

> Why do you need line-number-mode and goal-column?

`line-number-mode' because I really meant `hl-line-mode': that would
have shown a visible effect, namely that cursor is located on a line
different from the one where it appears.  But yes, it's unrelated to the
recipe.

Second question: for the recipe, it's not relevant indeed, but it is in
Magit, because in Magit, they have set line-move-visual -> nil.  That
fixes the problem, but it fails to do so (only) when goal-column -> nil.

>  I can see the problem just by moving with C-f from the end of the
> "222" line: "C-x =" says point is on the first "3", but the cursor is
> shown on "5".  Isn't this the problem you want fixed?

Yes!

> > I wonder however why in the above recipe the M-: (point) trick does
> > _not_ "work".
>
> Because it's an entirely different problem.

But in Magit, it _does_ help (i.e. move the cursor out of the invisible
text).  In my recipe, which is modeled after the Magit case, it doesn't.

> I think you should file a separate bug for it.

Ok, will do.  Thanks for investing time here.

Regards,

Michael.