Subject: bug#19200: Point adjustemnt moves *into* invisible text

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 21:40:53 +0200

> From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
> Cc: Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]>,  [email-masked],  [email-masked]
> Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 20:24:31 +0100
> 
> Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]> writes:
> 
> > Michael, does the patch below fix the Magit problem?  (It does fix the
> > simple test case presented by Stefan at the beginning of this bug
> > report.)
> 
> Unfortunately, no.
> 
> Here is a test case which hopefully resembles the situation in Magit:
> 
> (progn
>   (insert "111" "\n222\n"
>           (propertize "333\n444\n\n" 'invisible t)
>           "555\n666\n"))

This is an entirely different problem.

> Turn on line-number-mode and set goal-column -> 0, and move around
> (Esp. up/down).  You'll see the cursor drawn over the first "5", but
> point is actually located inside the invisible text.

Why do you need line-number-mode and goal-column?  I can see the
problem just by moving with C-f from the end of the "222" line:
"C-x =" says point is on the first "3", but the cursor is shown on
"5".  Isn't this the problem you want fixed?

> I wonder however why in the above recipe the M-: (point) trick does
> _not_ "work".

Because it's an entirely different problem.

I think you should file a separate bug for it.

Meanwhile, perhaps Stefan can see if my proposed change fixes whatever
the real-life use case he first saw the problem in, not just the
recipe he posted.