Subject: bug#19200: Point adjustemnt moves *into* invisible text

From: Michael Heerdegen <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2016 03:15:34 +0100

Stefan Monnier <[email-masked]> writes:

> > this bug is tantalizing us in Magit:
> >   https://github.com/magit/magit/issues/2592.
> > If someone would want to have a look some time...that would be nice!
>
> Are you sure you're hitting exactly this same bug?
> IOW can you circumvent the bug by adding M-: (point) RET ?

First question: no, I'm not, it's similar, but maybe not exactly the
same.  The issue in Magit seems to be dependent to the setting
goal-column -> 0.  But second question: yes!

And I found that when I replace

  (if (zerop col)
      (beginning-of-line)
    (move-to-column col))

in the definition of line-move-to-column (at the beginning) with just

  (move-to-column col)

(i.e. the else case)

the Magit issue is fixed.  I have no clue why, however.

Shall I make a separate report - or will cursor-sensor.el care about
this stuff at some time in the future?  Looking at the code in
simple.el, fixing this stuff will not be fun...

Regards,

Michael.