Subject: bug#19181: closed (Re: bug#19181: 24.4; 24.4.1 libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll crash on exit)

From: [email-masked] (GNU bug Tracking System)
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 18:06:03 +0000

Your bug report

#19181: 24.4; 24.4.1 libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll crash on exit

which was filed against the emacs package, has been closed.

The explanation is attached below, along with your original report.
If you require more details, please reply to [email-masked].

-- 
19181: http://debbugs.gnu.org/cgi/bugreport.cgi?bug=19181
GNU Bug Tracking System
Contact [email-masked] with problems

Subject: Re: bug#19181: 24.4; 24.4.1 libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll crash on exit
From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
To: Bill Farmer <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 20:05:42 +0200
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:52:13 +0000
> From: Bill Farmer <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> It does not seem to make any difference what file, I was using the
> grep-changelog file in the bin folder for testing, but any text or source file
> seems to cause the problem. I was visiting the file by dragging and dropping it
> into the emacs window. Visiting a file using the menu or 'C-x C-f' does not
> cause the problem. Starting emacs with emacs -Q crashes if a file is visited. I
> have attached a traceback from the zlib-available-p function. I couldn't paste
> it here because it contains null characters (^@).

OK, now everything is clear, thanks.  Drag-n-drop indeed can load
zlib1.dll, if Emacs was built with zlib support.  I'm guessing that
your own build was without zlib, so Emacs didn't load it.

I'm closing the bug.

Subject: 24.4; 24.4.1 libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll crash on exit
From: Bill Farmer <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2014 11:08:04 +0000
List-Id: <debbugs-submit.debbugs.gnu.org>

Hi

In the file ~/etc/PROBLEMS is a mention of potential problems with
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll. I have an installation of MinGW on this windows
machine which is in my PATH, as do many other emacs users, I would
imagine. If I rename libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll in my MinGW installation, emacs
works fine and does not crash on exit. However, this breaks MinGW. So I
checked for mentions of libgcc in the emacs executables:

Bill@CYNTHIA /d/Images/emacs/emacs-24.4
$ find . -name "*.dll" -exec strings -f {} \; | grep libgcc
./bin/libXpm.dll: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll

Bill@CYNTHIA /d/Images/emacs/emacs-24.4
$ find . -name "*.exe" -exec strings -f {} \; | grep libgcc
./bin/addpm.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/ctags.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/ebrowse.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/emacs-24.4.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/emacs.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/emacsclient.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/emacsclientw.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/etags.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./bin/runemacs.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/cmdproxy.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/ddeclient.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/hexl.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/movemail.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/profile.exe: libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll
./libexec/emacs/24.4/i686-pc-mingw32/update-game-score.exe: 
libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll

Every executable file in the emacs version 24.4 windows installation has
a reference to this dll. I don't think this problem is fixable without
building my own version from source. I use the binary version to avoid
this. I will have to revert to the previous version intil someone does a
build without this problem.

Regards
Bill

In GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
  of 2014-10-24 on LEG570
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 6.1.7601
Configured using:
  `configure --prefix=/c/usr'

Important settings:
   value of $LANG: ENG
   locale-coding-system: cp1252

Major mode: Fundamental

Minor modes in effect:
   delete-selection-mode: t
   show-paren-mode: t
   cua-mode: t
   tooltip-mode: t
   electric-indent-mode: t
   mouse-wheel-mode: t
   menu-bar-mode: t
   file-name-shadow-mode: t
   global-font-lock-mode: t
   blink-cursor-mode: t
   auto-composition-mode: t
   auto-encryption-mode: t
   auto-compression-mode: t
   buffer-read-only: t
   column-number-mode: t
   line-number-mode: t
   transient-mark-mode: t

Recent input:
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <menu-bar> <help-menu> <about-emacs>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo>
<help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> <help-echo> M-x
r e p <tab> o <tab> r <tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Loading cua-base...done
Loading paren...done
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
Making completion list... [2 times]

Load-path shadows:
None found.

Features:
(shadow sort gnus-util mail-extr emacsbug message format-spec rfc822 mml
mml-sec mm-decode mm-bodies mm-encode mail-parse rfc2231 mailabbrev
gmm-utils mailheader sendmail rfc2047 rfc2045 ietf-drums mm-util
help-fns mail-prsvr mail-utils help-mode easymenu saveplace delsel paren
cua-base cus-start cus-load time-date tooltip electric uniquify
ediff-hook vc-hooks lisp-float-type mwheel dos-w32 ls-lisp
w32-common-fns disp-table w32-win w32-vars tool-bar dnd fontset image
regexp-opt fringe tabulated-list newcomment lisp-mode prog-mode register
page menu-bar rfn-eshadow timer select scroll-bar mouse jit-lock
font-lock syntax facemenu font-core frame cham georgian utf-8-lang
misc-lang vietnamese tibetan thai tai-viet lao korean japanese hebrew
greek romanian slovak czech european ethiopic indian cyrillic chinese
case-table epa-hook jka-cmpr-hook help simple abbrev minibuffer nadvice
loaddefs button faces cus-face macroexp files text-properties overlay
sha1 md5 base64 format env code-pages mule custom widget
hashtable-print-readable backquote make-network-process w32notify w32
multi-tty emacs)

Memory information:
((conses 8 85268 6784)
  (symbols 32 18620 0)
  (miscs 32 81 107)
  (strings 16 12741 3702)
  (string-bytes 1 316673)
  (vectors 8 9842)
  (vector-slots 4 389888 5490)
  (floats 8 64 490)
  (intervals 28 256 41)
  (buffers 508 14))