Subject: bug#19181: 24.4; 24.4.1 libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll crash on exit

From: Eli Zaretskii <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 17:55:28 +0200

> Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2014 11:34:52 +0000
> From: Bill Farmer <[email-masked]>
> CC: [email-masked], [email-masked]
> 
> I have downloaded a built version of zlib1.dll from the zlib web site
> (http://zlib.net) and copied the file into the bin folder of the emacs 24.4
> distribution. This fixes the problem, as this version of zlib does not have a
> dependency on libgcc_s_dw2-1.dll.

Great, so your problem is solved.  I've now mentioned zlib1.dll in
etc/PROBLEMS as the potential source of such crashes.

However, I'd still like to understand why Emacs loads zlib1.dll when
you visit a file.  Could you please help me figure that out?

First, does that happen with any file, or just with a few particular
ones, and if the latter, then which files trigger that?

Second, how do you visit that file, exactly?  "C-x C-f", via the menu
bar, something else?

And finally, does Emacs load zlib1.dll if you invoke it as "emacs -Q"?
If "emacs -Q" doesn't load zlib1.dll, can you try finding the
customization in your ~/.emacs that causes this?

There are only 2 functions in core Emacs that might load zlib:
zlib-available-p and zlib-decompress-region.  So another way of
finding out why zlib is being loaded is to "M-x debug-on-entry" both
these functions, and when Emacs pops up the Lisp backtrace, see who
called them.

Thanks.