Subject: Re: bug#19180: guile bug#19180: vacuum_weak_hash_table error

From: Andy Wingo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2016 09:32:16 +0200

Hi,

On Wed 22 Jun 2016 16:55, Andy Wingo <[email-masked]> writes:

> On Mon 15 Dec 2014 07:36, Anand Mohanadoss <[email-masked]> writes:
>
>> Vacuum weak hash table assert Table=0x9bdb840 len=0 removed=1
>> orig_len=2321 n_items=2321
>
> I guess printing a warning is not worse than crashing.  I was unable to
> make this table work in a reliable way in 2.0 without rewriting it, so
> in 2.2 there's a new implementation with hopefully no bug in this
> regard.

I changed this assert to a warning and added a comment like this:

          /* The move to BDW-GC with Guile 2.0 introduced some bugs
             related to weak hash tables, threads, memory usage, and the
             alloc lock.  We were unable to fix these issues
             satisfactorily in 2.0 but have addressed them via a rewrite
             in 2.2.  If you see this message often, you probably want
             to upgrade to 2.2.  */

Andy